Thomas Coatsworth built this house for his bride Electra in 1869.
It is an extraordinary example of Second Empire style, with a mansard roof and strong Eastlake influences present in the incised decoration in the window hoods and door surrounds. The tower is the tallest part of the structure; rising five stories above ground. Third floor ballroom does provide views of Lake Erie. For a short time an owner was running a woodworking business out of the first floor, a bed and breakfast on the second floor, and had apartments on the third. Fourth floor servants rooms were deemed legally unusable by the city, and fell into disrepair. Foprtunately, the house is now in private hands.
The Neville coat of arms, under which banner the Coatsworth family served during the War of the Roses, is carved in stone above the entryway.
In 1899, Thomas Coatsworth built 55 Cottage (next door) for his daughter.