Once again our streets are being closed off and parking made unavailable to residents in the Center Square area for another race/event. Most of us support many charities and a good number of us run in events such as this, but respectfully ask that they be spread out over the city and shared by other neighborhoods.
We pay very high taxes here, pay additionally for residential parking and often still can't park within any reasonable distance to our homes. People are trying to carry groceries, babies, etc. and elderly residents are trying to simply get to their homes without walking many blocks.
It's great to have some events here, but it's enough with Tulip Fest, Lark Fest, Pride, Park Playhouse, Santa Speedo, the holiday lights in the park which disrupt parking from Halloween through the New Year, 4th of July Fireworks, etc. It's not too much to ask that the myriad races be shared by other communities including those with garages and off-street parking. We have nowhere to park each time we are displaced for another race and are disproportionately bearing the burden, including having to park in unsafe areas and walk for blocks at night when parking is taken off-line for events.
People who don't live here may not understand and may think we're being unreasonable, but below are all the areas disrupted for just one of the many events. If any other neighborhood in the city, was subjected to what we are, many times each year, residents would have put a stop to it long ago. The response is often, "If you don't like it move." But the reason this area holds on is, in part, because residents care. We get involved, participate in park and neighborhood clean ups and beautification, sweep and shovel the walks, pick up trash and dog poop, plant flowers, etc. It's fair to spread the impact of all these events.
Highlight the warehouse district. Let people get to know Pine Hills, Helderberg or Buckingham Pond neighborhoods. Run along our beautiful river, etc. Every event does not have to be held in the most densely populated area of the city and unnecessarily displace hundreds of vehicles over and over throughout the year. The events are not the issue. Good causes are a great thing, but they can occur in more than one location in the city.
Please neighborhood Presidents, and city officials, advocate for us and for other areas to share the hosting. Thank you.
One of the MANY similar announcements we receive every year:
Road Closures and Parking Restrictions for Last Run Winter 5K - Saturday December 8, 2018
The following Roadway will be closed on December 8, 2018 from 10AM-7PM:
• State Street between South Swan Street and Eagle Street
The following Roadways will be closed on December 8, 2018 from 3PM-7PM:
• Washington Avenue from Dove Street to Eagle Street
• State Street between Lodge Street and Eagle Street
• Eagle Street between State Street and Pine Street
• South Swan Street northbound Madison Avenue to Chestnut Street (upper Roadway)
• Market Street ramp to Eagle Street from Grand Street
The following roadways will be closed on December 8, 2018 from 4:00PM to 5:45PM:
• State Street between Robin Street and South Swan Street
• Willett Street between State Street and Madison Avenue
• Washington Park, All Park Roadways – Including Henry Johnson Boulevard
• South Swan Street northbound Madison Avenue to Washington Avenue (Upper and lower roadways)
• Dove Street southbound at Spring St to State Street
• Lark Street between Madison Avenue and Washington Avenue
**Lark St will remain open northbound only between Chestnut Street and Lancaster Street for Chestnut Street residents only
• Henry Johnson Boulevard between State Street and Madison Avenue
• Hamilton Street between Dove Street and South Swan Street
• Jay Street between Dove Street and South Swan Street
• Lancaster Street between Dove Street and South Swan Street
• Chestnut Street between Dove Street and South Swan Street
The following Roadways will have Parking Prohibited on December 8, 2018 from 10AM to 7PM:
• State Street, both sides, from South Swan Street to Eagle Street
The following Roadways will have Parking Prohibited on December 8, 2018 from Noon to 7PM:
• State Street, both sides, from Robin Street east 6 spaces on each side
• Washington Avenue from Swan Street to Eagle Street, both sides restricted
• Willett Street, both sides, from Hudson Avenue north 4 spaces on each side
• Washington Park Road, both sides (Hudson Avenue), from Willett Street west to Henry Johnson
• N. Hawk Street both sides from Elk Street to Washington Avenue
• Eagle Street both sides from State Street to Elk Street
• Park Street, both sides from Lancaster Street to State Street
• Elk Street, both sides from Eagle Street west 5 spaces on each side
• Lodge Street, west side from Pine Street to State Street
• State Street , both sides from Eagle Street to Lodge Street