202 Prospect Ave New York, NY 11215Almost every time I walk down Prospect Ave I smell a weird chemical smell when I pass a storm drain. This is downhill from a linen supply company - smells kind of like a dry cleaning chemical smell.· Reported by David · Flag Flagged
102 5th Ave Brooklyn, NY
This area has white lines painted showing where the bus stops end and it's ok to park. That's great, but as you drive up to an empty space, 80% of the time it's a fire hydrant. There's no way to tell whether it's a parking spot or a fire hydrant until you've driven past the empty space far enough to see the hydrant, holding up traffic for no reason.
Instead, when the lines are painted, they should be changed in the 15+15 feet exclusion zone around a fire hydrant, so drivers can clearly see whether it's a parking spot or a fire hydrant before we get to it. Maybe change the line to red in that region, or use hash marks, etc. (I am talking about the line on the street, not the curb. The curb paint is useless when it is not visible behind parked cars.)
This would also help us know if we're legally far enough away from the hydrant or not, fitting in more cars. This area is hard enough to find parking as it is. Cars won't have to slow down as much, reducing pollution from their exhaust and noise pollution from jerks honking behind them.
(Ideally, this would be done everywhere that parking is scarce, but we'll start here because there are already lines being painted in this area.)
361 15th Street Brooklyn, NY
The Park Slope Armory Shelter needs volunteers!
Thank you to the 100s of volunteers this past week. You have been amazing. BUT, the need continues with even more residents moving in tonight! Came out and work a shift or two at the Park Slop Armory. Volunteering is easy, rewarding and they need you! The staff is so happy to see enthusiastic, willing volunteers showing up throughout the day and night BUT they need more! So spread the word, post it on any sights, bring a friend and head out to the armory!
- Park Slope Armory is located at 361 15 street between 7th and 8th avenues.
- This shelter houses about 300-350 people from 2 nursing homes in the Rockaways. Mostly a senior population, many with health challenges.
- They can use 50 volunteers a day and 40 at night! Volunteers help with general support, food preparation, daily routines, meals, social support and logistics.
- Volunteers shifts last at least 4 hours. During the day, come any time. At night, they need volunteers as well. Think about coming for one of 3 nighttime shifts:
• 4:00am-8:00am ( Double shifts are welcome!)
• Anyone interested in volunteering should show up and report to the volunteer desk. You will receive a 20 minute training/orientation and more training depending on your assignment.
• Things to know: Where comfortable clothes, no photos and no kids (sorry).
• Donations: they need food for the staff and volunteers. So if you want to cook, bake or bring some good healthy food for the staff that works around the clock! They would be most appreciative.