Building Development Division 1

Most major projects will require permits of some kind. This is necessary to ensure that all buildings meet minimum standards which protect its occupants and neighbors in everyday living and in the case of emergencies or natural disasters. Some minor projects are allowed without obtaining building permits. However the construction of such projects should be in conformance with all applicable codes. The following list indicates when a permit is not required: Interior of Structures, Appliance - Replacement other than gas, Cabinets Kitchen/Bath - Repair, replace or new, Door- Replace assembly, including jambs, Flooring - Carpet, vinyl, wood or ceramic tile, Painting - Interior, Walls - Portable or temporary without electric or plumbing Exterior of Structures: Awnings - Residential, Burglar Bars - Replace or new, Door - Replace assembly, including jambs, Garage Doors - Replacement,Gutters, Hurricane Shutters - One/two-story structure and no electric, Painting - Exterior, Roof - Repair if the value of work is less than $500, Screen Room - Replace screening only, Siding- Repair small area less than 100 square feet, Soffit or Fascia - Not including structural repair, Stucco, Window Glass - Replacement Window - Repair or replace if the value of work is less than $500 Plumbing and Water Supplies, Faucet - Reinstall sink faucet in same location (does not include tub or shower faucet), Hose Bib - Replace, Ice Maker Line - Replace or new, Sink - Reinstall in same location, Water Closet - Reinstall in same location, Water Heater - Repair, no replacing of pipes, Wells - (SWFWMD permit may be required) Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, Heating - Install window unit in existing opening, Heating - Repair if the value of work is less than $500, Electrical, Alarms - Low voltage phone lines, computer lines, plug in alarm systems and lighting, Ceiling Fan - Replacement of existing, Light Fixture - Replacement of existing, Outlet or Switch - Replacement of existing Site/Landscaping, Arbors/Trellises - New or replacement, but not allowed in building setbacks, Driveway - Recoat/seal asphalt, Fence - Repair or replace permitted fence less than 25 feet, Filling in of Lot - Less than 250 yards of fill with no change in existing drainage, Flag Poles - Residential, Grubbing/digging - Removal of nuisance exotic vegetation (Building Development inspection required), Landscaping - Residential, Laundry Poles, Parking Lots - Recoat/seal and re-striping same as originally approved, Playground Equipment - Kids' play structures such as swings, playhouses or basketball hoops, Pool or Spa Equipment - Repair if the value of work is less than $500, Spa - Portable with approved electric and fencing, Sprinklers - Install landscaping sprinklers (cannot hook into public water supply; must have own well or reclaimed water) Tents - Residential, Tree - Removal or relocation of non-protected species These examples are only some of the exempted projects which are listed in various code books. Not all exempted projects have been included. Contact the Building Development Division for additional information.

Please login to post an answer.