Thornhill Dr Oakland, California - MerriwoodThere are a minimum of 20 potholes on Thornhill dr, the majority of which are dangerously large and have existed for years. The street is generally deteriorated and there are major cracks in the asphalt.
6028 Thornhill Drive Oakland, California - MerriwoodThere are 8 pot large potholes between on Thornhill Dr (between Pinehaven Rd and Gouldin Rd), 3 of them are about 2 feet wide around 6028 Thornhill Dr. Just drive from Pinehaven Rd to Moraga Ave and you'll see all of them.
Thornhill Dr Oakland, CA, 94611, USA - Merriwood
Nearly everyone driving on Thornhill, especially above Pinehaven/Woodhaven speeds well above the 25 mph speed limit. Speeding is a problem basically once you pass the Thornhill School, all the way up the hill. There's something about the road that make people feel the need to drive fast, even though it is narrow, windy, and heavily populated. We very intentionally drive 25 mph and are tailgated every time by impatient drivers.
We live right on Thornhill and it's very easy to tell the difference between a car traveling the speed limit and car going above the speed limit. It's extremely dangerous on a road with no sidewalks but that is regularly used by people to walk and bike. We've lived on this stretch of Thornhill for 7 months and have observed/experienced the following in that short amount of time:
- A (likely speeding) driver hit a deer in front of our house two nights ago, did not stop or report it
- A driver coming downhill around the curve between Heather Ridge and Pinehaven/Woodhaven flipped their car after hitting a retaining wall (November 2021)
- We have been passed on the left by cars coming downhill while stopped at our vehicle at the stop sign at the Thornhill-Pinehaven intersection. We have also observed other cars being passed in a similar way at this intersection while we are out walking
- Numerous cars traveling on Thornhill in either direction simply do not stop at the Thornhill-Pinehaven 4-way stop. We see this daily while out walking
- While driving uphill on Thornhill near Gouldin at night last month, we nearly had a head-on collision with a speeding car traveling downhill that crossed the double yellow to pass another car driving downhill.
- While walking our dog on Thornhill, the majority of cars pass us very closely and do not decrease their speed.
One other thing to note: there are no speed limit signs on Thornhill in the uphill direction after the Thornhill school. Not sure how effective these would be, but it does seem like an oversight not to have more signs.
With the speeds that people are traveling, someone is going to get killed - it's only a matter of time. We think there need to be a variety of traffic calming interventions on the entire stretch of Thornhill to make the street safer for everyone. Walking/biking to school very much seems like part of the culture in this neighborhood and yet the behavior of people driving cars is terrifying.
6200-6278 Thornhill Dr Oakland, CA, 94611, USA - MerriwoodThe whole span of thornhill off Moraga up to the swim club is atrocious. Cars swerve to avoid mines, they were pot holes when i complained for the last 7 years and mow massive craters. Bikes cannot navigate the road. Suspensions on cars are destroyed daily. For a major street it is atrocious. Please, pretty please fix me.
5506-5598 Thornhill Dr Oakland, CA, 94611, USA - MerriwoodPlease resurface the entire 100 yards of Thornhill road between Mountain and Moraga in Montclair. This artery has more than 10000 + cars a day driving on it between am and pm. After years of neglect it is in terrible shape. This image is one of a dozen potholes large enough for a car wheel to fit into.
1641 Mountain Blvd Oakland, CA, 94611, USA - MerriwoodThe sidewalk construction at the corner of Thornhill and Mountain started in April and stopped in mid-May, but there is a giant corner and several driveways that still have been completed. See photo for the sign indicating that the work should have been completed by May 31. This means that as of 8/21 (today), the work is nearly 3 months behind schedule, and pedestrians are picking their way through rubble.
Alhambra Ln & Thornhill Dr Oakland, CA, 94611, USA - Merriwood
From: Principal Daubenspeck
A student was hit in the crosswalk near Alhambra Lane by a parcel delivery vehicle.
We have called the city and police department numerous times regarding safety on Thornhill Drive over the six years I have been Principal.
I continue to urge you to reach out to your elected officials to support the safety of your community.
5880 Thornhill Dr Oakland, CA, 94611, USA - Merriwood
Location: Children's Play Area at Thornhill School
Asset: Area Drain to sewer
Observation: Apparent large sewer back-up
- City records shows a large SANITARY SEWER line under the children's play area asphalt at the area drain where the hazardous condition is located.
- There has been a large pool (dimensions of approximately: 10 ft x 15 ft) of stagnant, contaminated water on the asphalt of the children's play area at the school creating a hazardous condition.
- The contaminated water recedes slowly over several days between rains and leaves a large amount of "muck", residue, and mold on the asphalt of the children's play area. This has occurred on 10 (+/-) occasions starting November 2019 until the present time February, 4th, 2020.
- Staff has delineated the hazardous area with tape on or about November, 2019; delineation has remained through the present time.
- Children are allowed to play in the area directly around all sides of the delineated hazardous area on school days, after school in an after care program "Adventure Time". Often the children's balls and play items get into the hazardous area and are returned to the children by staff without being washed. On several occasions children have both i) removed the delineation tape and ii) walked or ran under the delineation tape into the hazardous area.
Alhambra Ln & Thornhill Dr Oakland, CA, 94611, USA - Merriwood
Requests from October 8th Montclair Action Team -- a meeting of community members concerned abut street safety along Thornhill.
-Residents State Signage is Not Visible– speed limit or school zone signs
-Residents would like a 20 MPH limit
-Residents ask for a flashing beacon at Thornhill elementary and a crosswalk
-Better signage and sharrows for bikes
-Specific ask for “Share the road” sign for bike
5529 Thornhill Dr Oakland, CA, 94611, USA - MerriwoodThis stretch of Thornhill is getting much much worse and badly in need of repairs. I recently had to have my car axle replaced for $4k on a 4-year old car. I attribute this largely to the horrible roads in Oakland and like an additional tax we pay as citizens, unfairly, to live in a city increasingly filled with potholes and trash. Please help improve Oakland!
6321-6475 Thornhill Dr Oakland, CA, 94611, USA - ForestlandThe road surface on Thornhill Dr between Mountain Blvd and Sobrante St is significantly deteriorated. There are countless potholes that are several inches deep with sharp edges, representing a major safety issue for cars and bikes. This has been an ongoing problem, but it has developed from a nuisance into a serious public safety issue and hazardous driving conditions.
Thornhill Dr Oakland, California, 94611 - MerriwoodMajor thoroughfare on Thornhill Drive between Moraga & Mountain Blvd which is an approach to Hwy 13 is SERIOUSLY PITTED and needs to be repaved. I see multiple complaints on this website with no action from the City. Oakland has become a failed city which does not provide adequate basic services for its taxpayers