West River and Hill North Neighborhoods.
150 Whalley Ave New Haven, CT - Dwight
A Message to the Community:
In mid-February, Supervalu Inc. announced that it was pulling all Shaw's supermarkets out of CT. Immediately upon hearing the news, the Greater Dwight Community Investment Corporation and its partners began examining options and seeking a replacement. No one is willing to accept a "food desert" in this neighborhood, and GDCIC is working initially with Yale University Properties, which has both extensive experience in supermarket real estate and a strong desire to avert this possibility.
It is of critical importance that the community remains engaged on this issue. Attached to this sheet we have included a brief survey, the data from which may be valuable in assisting the GDCIC and its partners secure a new, full-service supermarket for the Dwight location. In addition to distributing the survey, here are things you can do to help:
1. Once Shaw's goes dark at the end of March, help us ensure that the Plaza remains a safe place. Visit the site often and shop at the other stores in the center to that it remains a financially healthy community asset. Also, consider creating a formal block watch.
2. Collect the names and signatures of people committed to having a full-service supermarket in central New Haven, and have them complete the survey attached.
3. Make it known in conversations with friends, elected officials, and inquiring journalists that the community deserves a full-service supermarket in this space. If you have a moment, submit a comment to Supervalu, the owners of Shaw's, at http://www.supervalu.com/sv-webapp/contact/contact.jsp. Let them know how important it is to the community that they assist us in obtaining a full-service replacement store (please keep the messages civil, as we continue to work with Supervalu to reach a mutually-acceptable resolution).
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT. WE ARE COMMITTED TO KEEPING THE COMMUNITY INFORMED AS THIS PROCESS UNFOLDS. WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE.
What can we do as neighbors? We can go door to door and bring this survey to your neighbors! Instructions for returning the survey are on the bottom of the page: http://tinyurl.com/newhavengrocer
414 Whalley Ave New Haven, CT 06511 - EdgewoodGiven Whalley Ave's expansive width and high traffic volumes, and given business owners' desire to transform this space into an urban boulevard from a urban design standpoint, Whalley Avenue from the Fountain St intersection to Broadway would be the ideal location for a European/New York City-style physically separated bike lane. Ideally, this cycle track should spend most time on sidewalk level, as seen in the attached photo.
- DowntownThis is where you cross Route 34 with no pedestrian crossing signals to guide you. A life or death situation every time. Due to be fixed eventually, but it would be nice if it happened sooner.
150 Whalley Ave. New Haven, CT - Dwight
Shaw's is closing all CT stores but has not found a buyer for the Whalley Ave. location. The New Haven region could really benefit from the opening of a year-round market inside and around the Shaw's shopping center (there is an enormous, underutilized parking lot there also). I'm not sure about the zoning so I'm hoping someone could check on that.
The market could potentially provide year-round access to fresh produce and crafts, it could serve the city as a public space, and simultaneously help to sustain the local economy in these uncertain times.
Chapel Street And Ella Grasso Boulevard New Haven, CT - EdgewoodThis intersection has significant pedestrian traffic, especially children entering the park, in warmer weather months. It currently has no pedestrian crossing signal, and is a hazardous space for people to cross, given the high volume of traffic, and narrowing of the road into one lane just prior to the intersection (coming north on the Boulevard). Now is the time to address this, before kids start taking the risk to cross to and from the park this spring and summer.
228 Orchard St New Haven, CT 06511 - West River
This building is a landmark historical treasure and needs to be preserved.
Please add your comments, stories about the Shul, and reasons why you feel that it is significant on the comments here.
Please forward the issue to individuals you know who are interested.
The more people who "vote" to have this fixed, the more likely this building can be restored to its former glory as a community space for all -- instead of an abandoned building.
Excellent photographs of the Shul may be found here:
York Street At South Frontage New Haven, CT - DwightDue to the construction on Route 34, traffic gets backed up along South Frontage Road at York Street. Vehicles try to beat the red light and are stopped in the middle of the intersection (blocking the box) during the pedestrian crossing signals, causing pedestrians to weave around the vehicles to cross the street. Because there are three lanes of traffic stopped and some are trying to get out the intersection, they don't see pedestrians weaving around the adjacent cars as they cross. Some pedestrians try to cross against the light when vehicles are stopped thinking it is safe to cross when it clearly is not (photo attached). These condition are extremely dangerous for anyone who uses this intersection and needs to be addressed immediately.
Ella T Grasso Blvd & Edgewood Ave New Haven, Connecticut - EdgewoodThis afternoon, a team of dirtbikes and quads were going down Edgewood Ave through the red lights, and on the wrong side of the road towards traffic.
1013-1041 Ella T Grasso Blvd New Haven, CT 06519, USA - New Haven - Ward 03I bicycle pretty much anywhere, but I have to admit that I feel pretty shook up whenever I ride on Boulevard. Paving a trail in West River Memorial Park alongside the road, combined with crosswalk improvements, would both make Boulevard a complete street and add significantly to New Haven’s greenway trail network.
Edgewood Park New Haven, CT - New Haven Police District 10The Edgewood Avenue underpass in Edgewood Park is very poorly or not at all lit -- I got jumped there tonight at dusk. There is very poor visibility under the bridge, making it very easy for someone to hide under the bridge and jump/assault pedestrians and bicyclists.
S Frontage Rd New Haven, CT 06511, USA - DwightOn West side of park between frontage roads.
Assume that developer has responsibility to city keep trees alive for 1 yr. Lci?
Edgewood Park New Haven, CT 06511, USA - New Haven Police District 10
Now until May 31, Help bring a Fruit Trees Orchard in Edgewood Park, New Haven CT! A mix of apple, pear, plum, sweet cherry and, (if possible at all), apricot. A total of 45+ trees plus fruit bearing shrubs!
When we win this grant, The City of New Haven will match the award by planting the same number of fruit trees in other parks land in the city!
How to vote:
(1) goto http://www.communitiestakeroot.com/
(2) select your state to enter site, (1st time on computer only)
(3) Click on the vote "VOTE NOW" button
(4) On the "List by State" TAB under "CT" (Connecticut) choose
"Friends of Edgewood Park" in New Haven
(5) Register, (1st time), or log in (don't need to opt in for e-mails) (6) Click on "PLANT MY VOTE"
(7) Please do this every day until May 31, so that we can have
fruits daily in the near future.