7212-7288 18th St Ne St Petersburg, FL, 33702, USA - Harbor Isle Homeowners Association
Toxic blue-green algae occuring again in the southeast lobe of Harbor Isle Lake. The green-paint-like scum is more than 50 feet out into the lake area. Rotting pungent odors detectable from a distance that grow much stronger as you approach the water. (photo ~9AM, today)
This has been occuring consistently in this area, and other lake areas, (as others have noted online) for months. We are now into a 4th calander year of dealing with these toxic cyanobacteria blooms (2018 - 2021 present).
It's all fixed, according to the City and HOA. There's been no updates since September 2020. What's fixed, exactly?
What is the evidence of best efforts by those in-charge?
The City hasn't done any of the following, and has been sent multiple requests from residents, regarding these suggestions supported by science and engineering analysis:
• Adjusting and improving the efficiency of the micro-bubble aeration system installed in June 2020 -- by means of analyzing nutrient run-off input loading, sediment leeching, BGA build-up locations, lake morphology, and other factors alongside info previously mentioned/ emailed to City personnel.
• Keeping the properly designed micro-bubble aeration system as a permanent running solution to mitigate future lake events and to keep the lake healthier. Just as nearby Renaissance Neighborhood has had since 2016, which the City approved/helped fund.
• Removing the conflicting, higher cost, and unproven nano-bubble system and replacing it with more micro-bubble diffusor heads, if needed.
• Adding beneficial bacteria as a treatment to the micro-bubble aeration to aid in the micro-bubble system's effectiveness.
• Investigating / testing the lake's sediment & fill material for nutrient loading and leaching into the water body.
• Dredging the lake's sediment & fill material, if a properly designed micro-bubble aeration system is still not at its most effective due to possible extreme sediment leaching from the City approved fill project in 2001.
• In addition to the U.S. mailed letters, a creation of public web-page that allows City statements, data, and any other pertinent information to be posted about Harbor Isle Lake and its situational analysis. So, any interested party can better understand what has been going on or what is being planned.
• Clearing out invasive cattails to improve lake access, reduce nutrient load, and to reduce the likelihood of toxic blue-green algae being trapped and its toxic dust residue from becoming airborne -- especially at the city's easement and access points, like at the public neighborhood entrance.
How long does this have to go on without any future efforts to help stop this and improve the entire lake?
8262 30th Ave N Saint Petersburg, FL, 33710, USA - Jungle Terracemud stuck in gutters and causing flooding because its obstructing water flow
1129 Venetian Harbor Dr Ne Saint Petersburg, FL, 33702, USA - St. PetersburgMosquitos are crazy already. Multiple water ponds on this street and on Venetian bay across the street as well as big puddles in the out of use RV park behind us. (Riveria bay)
6801 17th Ln N Saint Petersburg, FL, 33702, USA - Meadowlawn Neighborhood AssociationPond behind our residence is covered with water plant growth.
Please help with the cleanup. Thank you
9802 111th St N Seminole, FL, 33772, USA - SeminoleThe City of Seminole received a report that a depression is forming in the front yard of 9802 111th St. Resident stated that the depression is appx 3 ft down and is between the water meter and the road. Resident has placed a red flag in the area. The City of Seminole has confirmed that they have no stormwater pipes in the area. There is a catch basin a few houses away but stormwater pipe runs the opposite direction.
Birch & Vine 340 Beach Dr NE, Saint Petersburg, FL, 33701, USA - Downtown Neighborhood Association
The Birch and Vine are washing items down in the alley and water is draining unto Beach drive. This was reported a couple of weeks back but it continues.
A concerned neighbor
215 Live Oak Ln Harbor Bluffs, FL, 33770, USA - Harbor Bluffs6:10 AM Monday
13134 Dorchester Dr Seminole, FL, 33776, USA - Commission District 6For the past week, anytime my family and I go outside in our front yard and backyard we are immediately bitten up by mosquitos. We’ve looked all around our property for standing water or anything else that may cause the issue but have found nothing. We would like to be able to enjoy our yard again.
9083 106th Ave N Seminole, FL, 33777, USA - Commission District 6Standing water and area needs mowing.
102nd Ave N & Seminole Blvd Seminole, FL, 33778, USA - Commission District 6Water can back up in rain
3800-4198 38th St S St Petersburg, FL, 33711, USA - Broadwater Civic AssociationMy house abutts Broadwater Park, which tends to get treated for mosquitos as their is a small pond and wetlands/cypress tree area. However, due to recent rains, the mosquitos are OUT OF CONTROL! You cannot go outside in the evenings without being eaten alive. Please treat the wetland areas in Broadwater Park! Thank you.
4265 13th Way Ne St Petersburg, FL, 33703, USA - St. PetersburgWater is bubbling out of the street forming a deep pond in front of my home. Water is coming out of the street in various locations. My neighbor reported this yesterday